????: coherent_ht_mainboard()

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Mar 24 13:45:00 CET 2004

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> * Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [040324 19:48]:
> > hypertransport.c can become a noop I agree but there are systems like:
> > http://www.970eval.com/ where we will need it for the ppc.  And there
> > may be other even more interesting cases.
> >
> > So I continue to see hypertansport.c as normative.  The rest of the
> > places as just optimizations.  Though I am completely in favor of
> > increasing the code sharing between hypertransport.c and
> > incoherent_ht.c
>

> I think you mean coherent_ht.c and incoherent_ht.c?

I mean devices/hypertransport.c and northbridge/amd/amdk8/incoherent_ht.c

> hypertransport.c is
> only available for tyan boards and contains the hardcodes for link setup
> on those tyan boards.

mainbaord/tyan/*/hypertansport.c can go away yes.  Which may
have been the original suggestion.

devices/hypertransport.c remain and is normative.
If incoherent_ht.c messes or is not general enough it catches
it.

> coherent_ht.c and incoherent_ht.c are both needed
> and more than unlikely to go away, i agree.
> Correct me if I misunderstood.

Hopefully I have.  Too many pieces not enough names :)

Eric