Epia-M IDE HowTo

Hendricks David W. dwh at lanl.gov
Thu Mar 11 16:29:01 CET 2004

Etherboot (http://www.etherboot.org/) can boot Linux off a hard disk by
using 'ide-disk' as a payload. I like to use FILO
(http://te.to/~ts1/filo/) since it provides an optional interface sort of
like command-line LILO for loading a kernel (I switch kernels often).

First you'll just need to make the appropriate Etherboot or FILO payload
(Usually .elf or .zelf). As I recall, for etherboot you need to
./configure and then make allelfs or a specific driver (make tulip, make
via-rhine, make ide-disk, etc). For FILO you need to edit a config file
and give it a default kernel to boot ( hda1:/boot/vmlinuz ), the
filesystem your kernel image is on (ext3, reiser, xfs, etc). After that,
just run 'make' and it'll create filo.elf.

After you have your payload, place it somewhere and edit your LinuxBIOS
config, usually something like
freebios2/targets/mainboard_vendor/mainboard_model/Config.lb. Change
the 'payload' line to point to wherever your new payload is located, for
example: payload /tmp/filo.elf.