Using Cache As Ram for K8

Li-Ta Lo ollie at lanl.gov
Thu Jun 24 12:00:01 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have successfully used the cache in the K8 processor as RAM on
the AMD Serenade mainboard. The cache as ram is used as a tiny
stack space for the code generated by GCC which replace the need
for a register only C complier like ROMCC. Now the whole LinuxBIOS
C code can be compiled by GCC.

There are few problems remaining. The first thing is I can only
use 7 cache lines of cache (448 bytes) reliably in the K8. The
access to the 8th cache line is unstable and the access to the
9th cache line hangs the processor. The other problem is the
optimize_connection() function for multi-processor configuration
runs unstably under CAR. It does not overflow the stack, it's just
plain unstable for some reason. So I can only configure the mainboard
as Uniprocessor.

Is there anyone has any idea about these problems ? If we can solve
these two problems, Cache As Ram can be used routinly for K8 and
probably we can try to extend it to some other processors.

YHLu,
Do you have any dual K8 EVB with HDT pin out and works "perfectly"
under normal (ROMCC) LinuxBIOS ? The ROMCC LinuxBIOS deos not work
for the AMD Serenade board 100% (I still have the phantom device s
problem) and the s2885 board we have does not have the pin out.

Eric,
What is the "effective" or "equalvalent" stack size of ROMCC ?
Is 448 bytes of stack adquant for ROMCC "linted" code in general ?

Ollie