Porting Linux BIOS

Hendricks David W. dwh at lanl.gov
Wed Jun 23 15:43:01 CEST 2004

Right now I'd have to say the best supported mainboards currently are VIA
EPIA M2 and Opteron mainboards using the AMD8111 southbridge. Asus does weird
things with their SMbus and hasn't been very cooperative in the past with
documentation, so I would not recommend that you risk money on them.

Though if you have a high threshold for pain, you can try one of the newer
VIA chipsets like the KT400 and hope they're generous enough with
documentation to complete a port. Some other VIA stuff is supported, so
that might help with a new port.