答复: [PROPOSAL] extended payload handling

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Tue Jun 8 15:40:01 CEST 2004

YhLu wrote:

> Can you explain deailed about the difference between uboot and Linuxbios?

Here's the entire README from U-Boot:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/u-boot/u-boot/README?rev=HEAD

Here's the section of the README from U-Boot that covers init. The
differences to LinuxBIOS should be apparent like no ROMCC in U-Boot:

The following is not intended to be a complete description of every
implementation detail. However, it should help to understand the
inner workings of U-Boot and make it easier to port it to custom
hardware.

Initial Stack, Global Data:
---------------------------

The implementation of U-Boot is complicated by the fact that U-Boot
starts running out of ROM (flash memory), usually without access to
system RAM (because the memory controller is not initialized yet).
This means that we don't have writable Data or BSS segments, and BSS
is not initialized as zero. To be able to get a C environment working
at all, we have to allocate at least a minimal stack. Implementation
options for this are defined and restricted by the CPU used: Some CPU
models provide on-chip memory (like the IMMR area on MPC8xx and
MPC826x processors), on others (parts of) the data cache can be
locked as (mis-) used as memory, etc.

	Chris Hallinan posted a good summary of	 these	issues	to  the
	u-boot-users mailing list: