[PROPOSAL] extended payload handling

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Tue Jun 8 08:41:01 CEST 2004

* Mathieu Deschamps <mdeschamps at mangrove-systems.com> [040608 15:42]:
> > LinuxBIOS can currently execute one payload. For greater flexibility and
> > isolated development cycles of the firmware related code parts/projects
> > LinuxBIOS should allow payload chains, ie. executing multiple payloads
> > one after the other.
> >
> Ok but How are you calling this if it's not
> a bootloader chaining or payload chain ?
>
> LinuxBIOS - (ETHERBOOT - IDE PATCH) - LINUX

I don't exactly get the problem. Etherboot would probably be the end of
the in-rom payload chain, since it does not return from execution but
pass control to Linux, which is not stored in ROM in the above scenario.

> I've reported that is was and that this works. I've also
> reported some boot chains examples to illustrate a section :
>
>  LB - ETHERBOOT - ADLO - LILO - LINUX

Again, at this point Etherboot would be the end of the in-rom payload
chain. But possibly ADLO could be moved to ROM before Etherboot is
started.

Stefan