[Fwd: Re: Linuxbios and Linspire laptop]

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Tue Jun 1 10:11:01 CEST 2004

* Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> [040601 17:30]:
> That's if they got ACPI right in their hardware design. Laptop hardware
> designers use the keyboard micro to solve lots of issues since these
> micros have lots of GPIO pins along with timers and other function
> blocks that are easily programmed.

ACPI does not change the fact that you have to trigger some GPIOs to get
things to work. It just moves the description of these GPIOs to the
firmware rather than having the OS implement them new for each
mainboard(!)

While LinuxBIOS' goal is to let Linux do it, I guarantee that either
these ACPI tables are put in LinuxBIOS or the features won't be
available in Linux for the next decade or so.

Stefan