Finally, I got filo boot into kernel in hard disk, but ...

Simon Xin Cheng scheng at msica.com
Fri Jul 9 18:23:00 CEST 2004

Hi,

Thanks for everyone who helped me building the LinuxBIOS V2 on epia board.
I fixed two problems during trying to use FILO to boot a kernel in hard
disk.

1) One memory module is broken. I did not use memtest86. It takes too long
time. I just remove a very old memory module, the filo can reach the last
step.

2) hard disk should be set as MASTER. It has been set as slave. So I got
error message: no IDE dev at channel 0.

Right now the booting of kernel stopps at initialize AGP stuff, following
is the error message before the kernel crashes:
Initializing Cryptographic API
Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected VIA Apollo MVP4 chipset
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 96M
0

LinuxBIOS-1.1.6.0Fallback Fri Jul 9 14:06:03 PDT 2004 starting...

I have several questions:
1) DO i need to enable GP_APERTURE_SIZE?
And how to set the value? (i.e. by byte or M )

2) Does the kernel need patch? Right now, I am using 2.6.7 pure kernel.

Thanks a lot.

Simon Cheng
www.msica.com