VGA console on S2885 with fbdev

Li-Ta Lo ollie at lanl.gov
Thu Jan 15 14:45:01 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 11:46, Hendricks David W. wrote:
> If you need a VGA console for an S2885, fbdev seems to work pretty well,
> at least with the GeForce 2 MX we've tested it with. Just rip your video
> BIOS (dd if=/dev/mem of=vgabios.bin count=1536 skip=128), run testbios -s

it should be "dd if=/dev/mem of=vgabios.bin skip=1536 count=128"

You have to do this with booting by normal bios too.

> 65336 vgabios.bin, and modprobe your fbdev driver. Only obvious issue we
> noticed was when quitting X the cursor became grossly out of proportion.
> It's really kind of funny (Assuming you have no real work to get done).
>
> Kind of a quick workaround, but if you're desperate for a local
> console fbdev seems to be a good temporary solution.

I think the problem is the vgabios only do the half
of the job. It only init the device but does not set
it to any specific video mode. Under normal bios,
the system call the vga bios to set the mode. But we
do not do this in linuxbios.

Ollie