VGA console on S2885 with fbdev

Hendricks David W. dwh at lanl.gov
Thu Jan 15 13:37:01 CET 2004

If you need a VGA console for an S2885, fbdev seems to work pretty well,
at least with the GeForce 2 MX we've tested it with. Just rip your video
BIOS (dd if=/dev/mem of=vgabios.bin count=1536 skip=128), run testbios -s
65336 vgabios.bin, and modprobe your fbdev driver. Only obvious issue we
noticed was when quitting X the cursor became grossly out of proportion.
It's really kind of funny (Assuming you have no real work to get done).

Kind of a quick workaround, but if you're desperate for a local
console fbdev seems to be a good temporary solution.