vgabios use howto.

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Mon Jan 12 14:21:01 CET 2004

ron minnich wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Richard Smith wrote:
>

>>Can some kind soul give me or point me to info on what the current
>>status is and what I going to need to do to get it all up?
>

> vgabios/testbios is currently a linux program, not built into linuxbios at
> all.  That's the emulator. We want to make it a linuxbios device soon.
>
> The vgabios support code will run a vgabios directly. It is built into
> linuxbios.
>
> Which one did you want?

I (and my customer) want to see the screen light up at boot so I guess I
need the direct vgabios support.  I seem to remember trying to use it
about 6 months ago but I never could get it to compile and since ADLO
worked I didn't continue that path.  I'm using a 440BX chipset.

Does success under the emulator indicate the level of success for the
direct support or are they totally different?  Will it be of use to boot
the board up headless and run the emulator to see what happens?

--
Richard A. Smith
rsmith at bitworks.com