Trouble with etherboot-5.2.2 [resolution]

Dave Ashley linuxbios at xdr.com
Wed Jan 7 11:02:01 CET 2004

The problem turned out to be I didn't build etherboot 5.2.2 properly, in
addition to editing the src/Config file I had to edit
arch/i386/Config and switch to the CFLAGS+= relating to linuxbios.
In etherboot 5.0.10 the only config file (that I know of) is the src/Config
one.

I did try reading the docs, but there was very little mention of linuxbios
in the etherboot docs. This whole thing could have been avoided if
etherboot had a top level README.Linuxbios or something like that.

The whole point of this exercise was to be able to get etherboot to output
to the vga even without a normal pc bios. I tried the CONSOLE_DIRECT_VGA
option Eric mentioned, and it works as needed.

There is still an issue with my epia-m vga init code that doesn't set the
sync for composite/svideo properly. That means in order to view the output
of etherboot you've got to plug in a vga monitor, which we want to avoid.
The epia-m vga init code sometimes detects that a monitor is plugged into
composite/svideo and automatically switches to the appropriate sync, but this
appears somewhat random.

-Dave