What is this good for?

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Feb 10 11:46:01 CET 2004

ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, ron minnich wrote:
>
> > I'll talk to the guys who merged that code in and we'll update to this
> > newer stuff.
>
> FYI the reason for this merge was:
> - CVS had stopped working on the 2885
> - YH Lu had submitted these changes some time ago
> - nothing else was forthcoming from other developers
>
> It is very helpful if we can all do as much as possible to get incremental
> patches in. I know we're all busy, but delayed commits and "giant commits"
> have caused some real trouble for several platforms. Please keep this in
> mind as you work on your improvements to the code base.

Right.  This is why I would very much like to get us using a distributed
version control system, to help ease the merges.

For many of the people developing LinuxBIOS the primary responsibility
is to our internal trees that we use internally or support our
customers with.  This allows a buffer so we are certain big changes
don't break things until we are ready to retest things in our internal
trees.   And it allows hacks that only work for a few boards to be
used before the code is generalized to work for everyone.

Eric