How about using LinuxBIOS for WakeUp

Juha Anon juha.anon at chello.se
Sat Dec 18 13:12:00 CET 2004

I'm woundering if LinuxBIOS would be a good basis for a wakeup mechanism
for a Home Theater PC (HTPC).

The general idea is that the computer should be in standby until the
time when a recording is scheduled. Then it would boot up and do it's
job; and then go back to standby again. The reason for not having the PC
running is partly because a HTPC is in the living room and we dont want
to have the noice it makes when running. It is also nice to save all
that power...

Another use of this is to wake the PC up when something happens -- like
a mail arrives. Then it would run a spam filter and turn on a
notification of some kind if the message wasn't spam. Perhaps LinuxBIOS
could be running and listen for the event and not boot up further until
it's needed.

I havn't been studing the LinuxBIOS yet, so I don't really know if this
is a viable idea or not. Is it?

    -- Juha