Linux kernel hangs

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Wed Dec 8 23:56:01 CET 2004

* Gin <ginlin at nexcom.com.tw> [041209 10:20]:
> Linuxbios writes to the beginning of the Memory for MP tables. Shouldn't
> those addresses be interrupt vector table? It doesn't look it contains
> any pointers to an interrupt handler. Who is the table for? Will Linux
> kernel reference it?

Linux uses the MP-Table for assigning interrupts to devices if it is
there. It is basically a variant of describing a device tree to the
system. It has nothing to do with the IVT, not directly at least.
The IVT is set up by Linux. (And by LinuxBIOS for exception handling and
gdb stub support)

> Linuxbios successfully loads the payload FILO which brings up Linux
> kernel. But the kernel hangs while waiting for a timer interrupt. See
> below. I guess the interrupt table is not correct.
> Initializing CPU#0
> Detected 1597.358 MHz processor.
> Console: colour dummy device 80x25
> Calibrating delay loop...

Your interrupts are not set up correctly.

Stefan