epia problem/Epia status update

Adam Sulmicki adam at cfar.umd.edu
Mon Dec 6 08:42:01 CET 2004

>> with all this talk on the list about epia.. does anyone knwo off hand how to
>> change this "wait 4 seconds reboot" to instantenous reboot when I press the on
>> button?
>
> you mean machine is on, and you want it to cycle real fast?

yeah. When I was looking over sis chipset docs I saw that you could setup
a pci register to toggle this setting between AT-style press-reset and
ATX-style 4 second delay reset

however, lokoing over vt82c686 docs seems like there's no corresponding
capability :-(

> we need to figure out how to trap the power button even to linux. Normally
> it is caught by the fuctory bios, but we don't have one in there. It makes
> most sense to have the OS catch that sort of thing anyway.

it was just meant to be quick hack... beats holding button for 4 seconds
when board crashes, or pulling the power plug..