error disclosure

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Dec 1 11:32:00 CET 2004

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at openbios.org> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> the error disclosure of the config tool is a little bit mystic.
> Building the sandpoint configuration says the following:

> This looks like an error in the config tool, while it is a mistake in the
> config file. Is there any easy way to point the user/developer to the
> place in the config file that is wrong (rather than printing a python
> traceback)?  This could make it a lot easier for newbies to create fresh
> linuxbios ports to motherboards whose hardware is basically already
> supported and it could safe the regulars quite some time comparing
> config files between the ports...

Last I looked a lot of the problem is design issues with the python parser
generator the code is using.  It does not do a very good job at remember
making it possible to print good error messages.

The case you mention does not look like the typical failure there so it may
allow for a simple fix.

Eric