EPIA flash questions

Joshua Wise joshua at joshuawise.com
Thu Aug 26 16:27:00 CEST 2004

Hi folks,

Well, I finally got myself a Linuxbios supported board (an EPIA
ME-6000). Later tonight I'm going to order a flash from Mouser to swap
out, but before I do, I have a few questions:

On board is a PLCC form factor 39SF020A. Mouser also carries the
39SF040A, which is a 512k ROM. The pinouts seem to be the same, but I'm
not sure whether the extra address lines are carried out anywhere. Does
anyone know whether the EPIA will be able to use the extra 256k?

Also, I was not planning on getting a BIOS savior. Does anyone have
experience with hotswapping flashes on the EPIA? Will bad things happen
if I do? Do I need to make myself an external board with chip select
lines, or can I just hotswap?

Thanks,

joshua