booting other oses

Jakob Praher jpraher at yahoo.de
Wed Aug 25 05:34:00 CEST 2004

hi Stefan,

thanks für the info.
I have included some additional questions.
but lets summarize what I think I know:
linuxbios is a bootstrapper thats able to load a linux kernel/elf binary
from within a flash rom/file/...?
or is linuxbios itself a linux kernel that is able to execute another
elf binary?
if the first option is true, it would probably need hardware access code
for accessing ide/scsi disks without the 16bit callbacks (INT13 and
friends)

Am Mit, den 25.08.2004 schrieb Stefan Reinauer um 11:26:
> * Jakob Praher <jpraher at yahoo.de> [040825 09:31]:
> > how/where does linuxbios do the loading of other oses?
>
> LinuxBIOS can load an arbitrary static ELF binary from flash or disk.

how do you then be able to load ntldr or something like that?
afaik ntldr is no elf executable it is either a COFF/PE or it is a DOS
exe ...

> > linuxbios loads the linux kernel from the flashrom, which then it is in
> > real mode imho.
>
> It can also load a bootloader from flash, like etherboot, filo or
> start openbios. This is all in protected mode though. Real mode is gone
> for good 17 instructions after power-on

thats good to know.

> > for instance how would linuxbios boot into for instance grub or lilo?
>
> grub and lilo both don't work in LinuxBIOS since they are using PCBIOS
> 16bit callbacks ("interrupts") for IO. If you want to use those anyways,
> have a look at ADLO

I understand. so what is the preferred boot loader with linuxbios?

> (See mailing list archive for above phrases ;)
hehe.

-- Jakob