epia-m 1/2 baud rate fix

Mathieu Deschamps mdeschamps at mangrove-systems.com
Fri Apr 16 11:22:00 CEST 2004

Hello LinuxBios fellows,

I know i'am a bit asking for trouble in what i like but if not trying to
someone else will anyway (as i've read).
I'am trying to bring this fix smbenablebus.inc into v2, following
advices and notices of Dave

by build time i got :
/mainboard/via/epia/smbus.inc: Assembler message:
smbus.inc:49:Error: invalid character "_" in mnemonic
smbus.inc:50:Error: invalid character "_" in mnemonic
smbus.inc:51:Error: invalid character "_" in mnemonic
crt0.S:155:Warning: inderect jmp without '*'
make[1]: *** [crt0.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [fallback-rom] Error 1

It stops in 51 in smbus.inc but there are other mnemonics with this
char...

A out-of-the-bit question : I've noticed that we're building a
fallbackrom, and i found the concept unavoidable and very interesting,
but does/should it needs all the capabilities a normal rom has ?
(for example half rate would be enough, you know thinking let's try not
to give it too much reasons to break down:-)
Indeed i thought fallback rom was some kind of
in-case-of-emergency-boot-anyway-please.. just enough abilities some we
can repair the normal rom to boot up back from.
Well it just a something that passed by me...

Have nice week-end.
mathieu

Le ven 16/04/2004 à 15:32, Dave Ashley a écrit :
> The post for fixing the 1/2 baud rate problem on epia-m is here:
> http://www.clustermatic.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2003-December/006207.html
>
> The earlier post mentioned probably had the setserial workaround but this
> is no good, you don't get 115200 baud or other baud rates that don't go into
> 57,600 exactly (like 38,400).
>
> I'm on vacation this past week in Florida so haven't been able to assist
> any on the epia-m work.
>
> One thing I noticed in Dmitri's patch is it seemed to cut out all my
> code to initialize the VT1211's hardware monitor (used for temperature +
> voltage monitoring). Other stuff seemed to be hacked and slashed out that
> I found necessary, but didn't appear to be replaced elsewhere.
>
> When I get back to the office hopefully I can do a cvs checkout of latest
> version and give it a shot and see if it works for me. It sounds like it
> is working for everyone else right now, which is good news, so congrats all
> around.
>
> So if it's this far along, it would be nice to get the SPD auto detection
> working. Maybe the path to that is integrate all these V1 changes into V2
> and do it in V2.
>
> -Dave

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Dave Ashley wrote:

> One thing I noticed in Dmitri's patch is it seemed to cut out all my
> code to initialize the VT1211's hardware monitor (used for temperature
+
> voltageOn Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Dave Ashley wrote:

> One thing I noticed in Dmitri's patch is it seemed to cut out all my
> code to initialize the VT1211's hardware monitor (used for temperature
+
> voltage monitoring). Other stuff seemed to be hacked and slashed out
that
> I found necessary, but didn't appear to be replaced elsewhere.

don't worry. I did not apply the patch Dmitri sent. I just used it as a
guide to the actual changes I made. All your stuff is still in there.
Check the CVS and you should see your stuff intact. I really need that
serial port patch though.

> So if it's this far along, it would be nice to get the SPD auto
detection
> working. Maybe the path to that is integrate all these V1 changes into
V2
> and do it in V2.

That's the next step. Once you bless this V1 port, I start the V2 port.
That will become the port of choice for EPIA-M.

I'll needOn Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Dave Ashley wrote:

> One thing I noticed in Dmitri's patch is it seemed to cut out all my
> code to initialize the VT1211's hardware monitor (used for temperature
+
> voltage monitoring). Other stuff seemed to be hacked and slashed out
that
> I found necessary, but didn't appear to be replaced elsewhere.

don't worry. I did not apply the patch Dmitri sent. I just used it as a
guide to the actual changes I made. All your stuff is still in there.
Check the CVS and you should see your stuff intact. I really need that
serial port patch though.

> So if it's this far along, it would be nice to get the SPD auto
detection
> working. Maybe the path to that is integrate all these V1 changes into
V2
> and do it in V2.

That's the next step. Once you bless this V1 port, I start the V2 port.
That will become the port of choice for EPIA-M.

I'll need some help with that one ... this is a time-available thing for
me right now, but I'm giving it all the time I can.

ron