FILO features request

Takeshi Sone ts1 at tsn.or.jp
Wed Apr 14 10:26:01 CEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:50:55AM -0700, YhLu wrote:
> I hope it can
> 1. understand grub.conf in HD  --- and append console=tty0
> console=ttyS0,115200 automatically
> 2. understand Linux Installation CD: /boot/loader/isolinux.cfg --- and
> append console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200 automatically

I don't like the idea to have compatibility to existing bootloaders.
It sounds like a beginning of nightmare.

Instead, Linux CDs can directly support FILO.
Boot CDs can have /boot/filo.conf, and installers can
generate /boot/filo.conf in the installed hard disk.
It's technically easy.
Stefan Reinauer was positive to add this support to SuSE's installation
CD when I talked to him about this issue.

> 3. editor to boot command line

It already has very limited editor.

> 4. auto items for elf image in rom ( 64k or 32k segement from 0xfff80000)
> 	mem at 0xfff80000
> 	mem at 0xfff90000
> 	mem at 0xfffa0000
> 	mem at 0xfffb0000

Maybe, we can make FILO to have the default config file in ROM, which
includes the filo.conf from boot device (CD or HD).
So the config file in ROM knows how to boot Etherboot in ROM.
But this is too complicated at the moment.

--
Takeshi