Largest BIOS Workspace

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 10:24:01 CEST 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 3:41 pm, Don Brown wrote:

> Within BIOS in general and LinuxBIOS in particular, what is the largest
> workspace available.  Are we limited to a 4 meg chip to store LinuxBIOS?
> Can we build or lever into some larger area?

Depends on your motherboard (primarily - how many address lines go to the BIOS
socket?).

If you use banked architectures such as DoC then you can access much larger
amounts of storage on a device plugged into that socket, however I'm not sure
if that meets your needs (maybe you're looking for a simple contiguous memory
space)?

Regards,

Antony.

--
You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.