mptables and missing devices

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 30 09:43:01 CEST 2003

On 30 Sep 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> There are boards that a pirq routing table simply does not work
> for, because not all interrupts go through the pirq router.  For those
> boards we either we need to just go through the mptable, or we
> need to pre route the irqs and fill in the routing in pci space.
> Pre routing the irqs is the most compatible with multiple kernels and
> OS's.

still worse, there are those cases (Linux) where the interpretation of
PIRQ is broken (e.g. for Geode). So I've reluctantly come to the
conclusion that LinuxBIOS should do this routing.

> Once we get that we can figure out how to export that information
> via the LinuxBIOS table, the mptable, and pirq table.  I am tempted at
> that point to move the mptable and pirq table  generation code into
> mkelfImage, and to start looking at having the kernel support the
> LinuxBIOS table directly.

we need to leave them in LinuxBIOS, I think, so that I can continue to
support 9load, plan 9, and all the other systems that want to read PIRQ. I
would hate to see mkelfImage get too complicated, as I need to be able to
generate these elf Images on systems that have no GNUbin utilities.

ron