Reboot after setting MTRRs

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Sep 30 07:26:01 CEST 2003

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> the latest AMD Solo builds reboot after setting variable MTRRs:
>
> mmio_base: 3670016KB
> totalram: 256M
> Initializing CPU #0
> cpufixup RAM: 0x00040000 KB
> Enabling cache...
> Setting fixed MTRRs(0-88) type: UC
> Setting fixed MTRRs(0-88) type: WB
> DONE fixed MTRRs
> Setting variable MTRR 0, base:    0MB, range:  256MB, type WB
> Copying LinuxBIOS to ram.
> Jumping to LinuxBIOS.
> LinuxBIOS-1.1.4.0-Fallback Di Sep 30 12:19:45 CEST 2003 rebooting...
> Finding PCI configuration type.
> PCI: Using configuration type 1
> Enumerating: AMD K8 Northbridge
> Enumerating: AMD K8
> Enumerating: NSC 87360
>
> This did not happen until somewhen after 1.1.4
>
> What could cause this? It does not happen on other machines as far as I
> can tell... :-((((

No current clue, except I know I need to get a pile of bug
fixes in there.  I can imagine the bug fixes improperly executed
triggering this but just mtrrs triggering this I don't know.

I guess this is when I would start instrumenting the code to see
where it dies.  Do you have a working fallback image?

Eric