Working with tsop flash

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sat Sep 27 01:10:00 CEST 2003

Hi,

I have a motherboard that I would like to get linuxbios working on.
Unfortunately, it has a TSOP flash part that is soldered directly onto it.
I am concerned that if I write to the flash I may turn the unit into a
"brick".

Has anyone had any experience with removing a surface mounted flash TSOP
part, and replacing it with a ZIF socket?  If I understand it correctly, I
should be able to heat up the leads of the current flash (melting the
existing solder), extract the flash part, then solder on a zif socket
(http://www.emulation.com/catalog/off-the-shelf_solutions/sockets/tsop/),
and then finally use an eprom programmer on the existing tsop flash chip if
it ever gets flashed incorrectly.  Is this correct - anyone here done this
before?  Is this procedure very tricky (can one new to soldering expect to
succeed at it)?

Any advice would be appreciated,
-Kevin