Windows-based terminals - what can be done?

Thomas Fritz tomfritz at direcpc.com
Tue Sep 23 16:43:00 CEST 2003

I have access to a few WBTs at a surplus place, and I've dug up the
specs on them:

Cyrix Pentium clone - 266MHz
up to 128MB SDRAM
ports: PS/2 keyb/mouse, 2 USB 1.1, 2 serial, 1 parallel, 10/100
ethernet, and sound in/out

the chipset(s) include a SuperIO 97317, and a CS5530 (which handles the
soundblaster compatible sound and presumably the video).

The board has an Award BIOS little square-like ROM, and a larger 8MB ROM
which holds Windows CE.

There are also various places on the board which could have had various
optional features, but there is no IDE, floppy, etc...but I think if I
solder on a PCI slot where it belongs I could hack some more
funtionality onto it for testing.

I've been thinking of how to go about hacking this thing, and the
easiest method I'd like to try first:  Burning a new ROM to replace the
Windows CE version.  I doubt this thing would be easy to flash the BIOS,
if it even had that capability.

I'm not looking for graphics, a text screen will be more than sufficient.

On this, I have two questions:  What's my chances for success (educated
guesses?), and has anyone done something similar?