epia800 direct vga working

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Sun Sep 21 14:47:01 CEST 2003

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 12:59  PM, SONE Takeshi wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 12:25:01PM -0600, Nathanael Noblet wrote:
>> I have yet to get the epiafb working or even try the tridentfb with a
>> linuxbios boot. The epia complains of unresolved dependancies which
>> look like missing symbols for the generic framebuffer, even though
>> that
>> is loaded... so I'm not sure what is going on there.
>
> Did you enabled (and build and insmod) kernel options like
> "8 bpp packed pixels support" (and others)?
> I think this is bug in epiafb documentation.
Not sure, I'm using the stock kernel that came with my distro (RedHat
at the moment)...
It works when the original bios is booted. I have only moments ago
realized which modules
weren't being loaded (the fb_con-*) which once loaded I loaded the
vesafb module. I'll try
the epiafb next.

At the moment though, I'm having difficulty getting filo to boot
anything but the original kernel.

Here is what I have done. Perhaps you have insight into the problem.

in the filo Config file:
AUTOBOOT_FILE = "hda1:/epia.vmlinuz root...."

now if I, using the boot prompt provided by filo, attempt to boot any
other kernel, specifically
in this instance a 2.4.22 vanilla kernel, compiled on the target
machine, and which mkelfimage 2.5
has been run against. It says it cannot find the file. I couldn't
figure out why. I used
epia.vmlinuz-2.4.22 as a name, thought perhaps that FILO couldn't read
it for one reason or another,
filename length or something. Anyway so I copied it to epia.vmlinux22,
no go there either. So then I made
a backup of the epia.vmlinuz as epia.vmlinuz-bak and overwrote the
epia.vmlinuz file with my 2.4.22 version
and rebooted. Let it autoboot, which it did, but well it booted the elf
image version of the original kernel
2.4.20-20.9 (the Redhat one that I had renamed and overwritten with
something else) not sure what is
happening here.

--
Nathanael Noblet