epia800 direct vga working

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Sun Sep 21 02:02:01 CEST 2003

Nathanael Noblet wrote:

> I don't need a framebuffer on boot, but once loaded would I be able to
> insmod the epiafb module and get that working?

More than likely, since a framebuffer driver made for epia vga must have
intimate knowledge of the chipset, so it should completely initialize it.

> Though, I'm wondering if the modifications you've made are (specifically
> the epia800.config) are compatible with an elf filo payload? The add
> action commands seem to run after the commands that concatenate the
> linuxbios image file with its payload.. so I'm somewhat at a loss as to
> what to flash the chip with. If you know what I mean.

I have not used payloads, so I am not sure, maybe others can comment.
If you comment out VIDEO_SHOW_LOGO and the addactions, though, there is
a bug in the file via_vga.c, you will need reverse two lines:

#ifdef VIDEO_SHOW_LOGO
         if (!splash_done) {

change it to:
         if (!splash_done) {