Help needed (LinuxBIOS & FILO on EPIA5000)

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Fri Sep 19 13:16:01 CEST 2003

SONE Takeshi wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 10:32:05AM +0200, Sven Lübke wrote:
>
>>In FILO I edited the file "Config" and changed only:
>>AUTOBOOT_FILE = "hda5:/vmlinuz"
>

> If this file is the bzImage format kernel, FILO can't load it (yet).

"Yet" means maybe soon? I am very much interested in booting bzImage.
Eric has pointed out that putting the startup code for bzImage in the
linuxbios flash makes it tied to one method of booting, that may change
as Linux changes.  But if you have a file system aware bootloader, then
maybe we could put the startup code in an image file on the filesystem.
     Actually I don't care that much about whether it is in the flash or
not, but others may. I have done the Linux startup code many times, if
you want any additional code samples.  One thing that is needed is to
completely support the settings in the zero page, particularly the video
mode and x,y cursor location.

Booting vmlinuz with linuxbios would reduce newby questions on this ML
significantly, since most who try linuxbios for the first time expect it
to do this until they read the fine print (IMHO).

-Steve