Help needed (LinuxBIOS & FILO on EPIA5000)

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Fri Sep 19 05:03:00 CEST 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 10:32:05AM +0200, Sven Lübke wrote:
> In FILO I edited the file "Config" and changed only:
> AUTOBOOT_FILE = "hda5:/vmlinuz"

If this file is the bzImage format kernel, FILO can't load it (yet).
Use mkelfImage from ftp://ftp.lnxi.com/pub/mkelfImage/
to convert your vmlinuz to ELF.

> 1. In "epia.config" there is the option PAYLOAD_SIZE! Do I have to change
> it to the size of the "filo.elf" payload?? I tried it, but it's not working
> nevertheless...

I have never tried to change that option.

> 2. Is FILO compatible with the ext3 filesystem? I am using it in my root
> partition,
> but read, that ext2 and ext3 are compatible! Is that my failure?

FILO works with ext3 just fine. In fact I'm using ext3 too.
Filesystem routines are from GNU GRUB and it's been compatilbe with ext3
for quite a while.

> 3. Is VGA support for the EPIA5000 possible in this combination?

Yes, it's working on my EPIA 5000.
However, VGA support (either VGABIOS or direct access) is not stable yet,
it works for some of us but not for others.

You definitely need a serial cable to see what is going on.

I have several fixes to VGABIOS support, which should increase
compatibility, and I believe David and Ron at LANL are working
on it to integrate it to the tree.

--
Takeshi