Help needed (LinuxBIOS & FILO on EPIA5000)

Sven Lübke sven.luebke at mikrosol.de
Fri Sep 19 04:25:01 CEST 2003

Hi all!

I tried to install LinuxBIOS in my EPIA board, but with no luck. I don't have
a serial null-modem cable, so I can't see debugging information :-(.

I read the HOW TO for EPIA boards and used FILO as payload, cause I want
to boot from IDE. In FILO I edited the file "Config" and changed only:

AUTOBOOT_FILE = "hda5:/vmlinuz"

FILO compiles without problems and creates an ELF file, which is 34 KB in size.

Then I edited the file "epia.config" (changed only "payload
/root/filo-0.1/filo.elf"),
ran the python script, executed "make clean" and "make" in the target
folder and
linuxbios compiles with no problem. I burned the file "romimage" into the
flash, rebooted
but nothing is happening :-((. I tried the same with extracting the
VGA-Bios and creating a
combined payload with no result also! Am I doing something wrong?

I have three questions anyway:

1. In "epia.config" there is the option PAYLOAD_SIZE! Do I have to change
it to the size of the "filo.elf" payload?? I tried it, but it's not working
nevertheless...

2. Is FILO compatible with the ext3 filesystem? I am using it in my root
partition,
but read, that ext2 and ext3 are compatible! Is that my failure?

3. Is VGA support for the EPIA5000 possible in this combination?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Sven