[announce] OpenBIOS Forth Kernel V1.0 released

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 17 17:37:00 CEST 2003

Hello (again) from Gregg C Levine
Okay, by adding that flag to the flags region of the make file, made
it work, sort of. Now the explosion happens when the process reaches
the steps for creating an image for working with our project here,
Linux BIOS, that's where it happens, something to do with the strip
command. GCC is still 2.9.5.3, and binary utilities are still
2.11.90.0.19, (my mistake), below this will be my script file, (cut
and paste):
Script started on Wed Sep 17 13:21:21 2003
root at who3:/usr/src/openbios/kernel# make

Welcome to OpenBIOS..

Creating build directory /usr/src/openbios/kernel/obj-x86
Checking types...found 32bit platform, creating "types.h"

Building common core files for architecture x86
  compiling primitives.c...    		ok
  compiling stack.c...    		ok
  compiling dict.c...    		ok
  compiling lib.c...    		ok
  compiling openbios.c...    		ok

Building files for unix hosted bootstrap
  compiling unix.c...    		ok
  linking unix bootstrap... 		ok

Bootstrapping dictionary...		ok
Building final dictionary...		ok
Building binary converter...		ok

Compiling x86 architecture specific binaries
  assembling mboot.S...     		ok
  compiling multiboot.c...    		ok
  assembling boot.S...     		ok
  compiling plainboot.c...    		ok
  generating linkable dictionary...	ok
  compiling builtin.c...    		ok
  compiling console.c...    		ok

Linking:
  native multiboot kernel for grub... 	ok
  native kernel (for LinuxBIOS)... 	ok
Usage: strip <switches> in-file(s)
 The switches are:
  -I --input-target <bfdname>      Assume input file is in format
<bfdname>
  -O --output-target <bfdname>     Create an output file in format
<bfdname>
  -F --target <bfdname>            Set both input and output format to
<bfdname>
  -p --preserve-dates              Copy modified/access timestamps to
the output
  -R --remove-section <name>       Remove section <name> from the
output
  -s --strip-all                   Remove all symbol and relocation
information
  -g -S --strip-debug              Remove all debugging symbols
     --strip-unneeded              Remove all symbols not needed by
relocations
  -N --strip-symbol <name>         Do not copy symbol <name>
  -K --keep-symbol <name>          Only copy symbol <name>
  -x --discard-all                 Remove all non-global symbols
  -X --discard-locals              Remove any compiler-generated
symbols
  -v --verbose                     List all object files modified
  -V --version                     Display this program's version
number
  -h --help                        Display this output
  -o <file>                        Place stripped output into <file>
strip: supported targets: elf32-i386 a.out-i386-linux efi-app-ia32
elf32-little elf32-big srec symbolsrec tekhex binary ihex trad-core
make[1]: *** [openbios] Error 1
make: *** [x86] Error 2
root at who3:/usr/src/openbios/kernel# exit
Script done on Wed Sep 17 13:23:00 2003

Stefan your guess is as good as mine, as to what happened here. For
/dev/bios, I found that the version you have there, tended to cause an
oops, with my system tools, I'll grab it again, and try it. Basically
the earlier ones, 2.9 for example, worked. This is before your site
migrated to its present home.

Oh and Ron, thank you for quoting me. It makes me feel better to see
that happen.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

Open