funny idea

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Wed Sep 17 04:18:01 CEST 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:58:07AM +0200, Niki Waibel wrote:
> what about haveing bios savior + DoC in a mb _and_
> connecting the bios savior switch to an address pin...
>
> that way it should be possible to have enough room
> in the bios savior rom for doing everything. then
> the DoC could be activated...
>
> i think that booting should start with the internal
> bios savior chip (with linuxbios). and then, at some
> stage (all init of mem and copying of bios savior rom done)
> the switch is "activated" (by a read of some address or sthg).

If you connect the switch to A18, you can have the ROM
at 4G-256K (it's where the ROM resides normally) and
the DoC at 4G-512K (or vice versa)...?
I don't know if it really works but if it does,
you can have existing LinuxBIOS code in the ROM and
configure it to load kernel from the DoC.
However I don't know what the advantage of it compaired to
the IDE-CF configuration.
--
Takeshi