extending "buildrom"

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 16 10:00:01 CEST 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> * ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [030915 16:51]:
> > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> >
> > > buildrom <imagename.rom>
> > >   size ROM_SIZE
> > >   data  ./lsiscsifw 65536
> >
> > ????????? What is that data thing?
>
> I assumed that packing option roms or similar data hunks into an image
> might become more and more a default. But it does not really fit, I
> agree.

Now that you've explained it, I realize that's a really good
idea. It would eliminate much kludgery that we have for the linuxbios
splash image.

> > >   image normal   NORMAL_SIZE
> >
> > no, you need this info when you build the board, it can't move here.
>
> What information is needed? I would have thought it's only the start
> address of the payload?

Actually it is good to have it here after all, as it is a double-check: if
the "normal" image is not NORMAL_SIZE then there is a problem in building.

I would like as many checks as possible in this process, since when things
go wrong the machine usually sits there with no output.

ron