USB Memory Key booting

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 16 09:54:00 CEST 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> Actually gentlemen, and ladies, no it is not. I have available for
> this system a USB Key Drive, from Memorex, and a CF reader, also from
> them. To use them under Linux, I need to turn on SCSI, and USB-Mass
> drive support. Also, the mass drive functions look more like SCSI to
> me, then anything like IDE. Granted this is one example.

here again is the case for linux in the bios, if only the flash parts were
big enough. Linux in the bios could easily drive all usb devices for mass
storage, and boot linux off the mass store. Without linux in the bios, we
will have to write all that code and deal with all the hardware bugs.

If only the flash parts would get big.

ron