USB Memory Key booting

Andrew Ip aip at cwlinux.com
Mon Sep 15 22:52:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

> I checked the latest EPIA BIOS and it says USB-HDD.
Under Linux, it uses USB and SCSI stack to access USB IDE harddisk or USB
flash disk.

> I figured the USB stack was deep; I may do some experimenting with Linux
> and booting from one of these and see what is involved.
> I haven't checked the price to see how these compare with Compact Flash,
> but the small size and ease of customer installation is attractive.  The
It is just a little more expensive than CF, but its size is much smaller.
> CF requires an adaptor to IDE that is a little awkward.  The USB flash
> memory can be installed by a customer without opening the case, and
> saves the price of a CDROM drive (and the mechanical failure problems
> with a CDROM drive).  All of this is from the standpoint of an embedded
> system and may be of no interest to clusters.
I think we can take a look at u-boot which has USB storage access already.

-Andrew

--
Andrew Ip
Email:  aip at cwlinux.com
Tel:    (852) 2542 2046
Fax:    (852) 2542 2036
Mobile: (852) 9201 9866

Cwlinux Limited
Unit 202B 2/F Lai Cheong Factory Building,
479-479A Castle Peak Road,
Lai Chi Kok, Kowloon,
Hong Kong.

For public pgp key, please obtain it from http://www.keyserver.net/en.