[COMMIT] Infrastructure Updates 4

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Sep 8 15:47:01 CEST 2003

On 8 Sep 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Correct. It is a little better on the HDAMA.  But currently there are
> some options that don't seem to work properly when I move them in closer.

yes, I've seen this too, not had time to fix it. Clearly, some things
should move into the mainboard file.

I just don't want to go back to what we had before, with lots of things
getting set/reset/changed all over the place.

> > Left for the targets config file would be:
> > * console loglevels
> > * console output (serial, vga, ..)
> > * rom/ide streaming (is anything but rom streaming still supported?)

IDE streaming is not going away any time soon, if ever; too useful too
often.

> > * fallback/normal image builds: size, payloads

> > * option table
>
> The option table pretty much should be mainboard specific, I think.

yup.

> > Whats the difference between
> > option FALLBACK_SIZE=131072
> > and the option
> >         option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE=0x10000
> >
> > in the romimage "fallback" group? Both sound like they do similar
> > things.
>
> As I recall FALLBACK_SIZE is the fallback part of the rom image.  Both
> payload and LinuxBIOS.  Whereas ROM_IMAGE_SIZE is just the LinuxBIOS part.

we need to rename these, these names are far too confusing.

> > I had trouble getting a build to work with a kernel (800k) in the normal
> > image and etherboot (~20k) in the fallback image. Do the payload image sizes
> > have to be the same for fallback and normal?
>
> No.  Although there are some peculiarities in the new configuration tool.
> make echo
> works so you should be able to see what the variables are set to.

or just cat Makefile.settings, as the perl is gone and these are now
almost always just numbers.

send me make output if you want, I'll take a look.

ron