[COMMIT] Infrastructure Updates 4

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Sep 8 15:37:01 CEST 2003

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> * ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [030904 17:49]:
> > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> >
> > > I agree.. but right now there are still Config.lb files in the mainboard
> > > and in the targets directory. And at least last time I checked both were
> > > used.
> >
> > possibly I am missing your point. What bits did you want to see in
> > mainboard/Config.lb that are in the target?
>
> There are some things that are in both Config.lb files. Some of these
> make sense as a board default that gets overwritten by the image config
> file, keeping the idea in mind that whoever builds an image for a
> certain mainboard has to change/create a targets/ Config.lb, but does
> not have to care about the mainboards/Config.lb. When porting LinuxBIOS
> to a new board for a known platform, it should be the other way round.
>
> Still, I am uncertain what belongs where ...
>
> uses XIP_ROM_SIZE
> uses XIP_ROM_BASE
> [..]
> option CONFIG_CHIP_CONFIGURE=1
> option CPU_FIXUP=1
> option CONFIG_UDELAY_TSC=0
> option i686=1
> option i586=1
> option INTEL_PPRO_MTRR=1
> option k7=1
> option k8=1
> option _RAMBASE=0x00004000
>
> These are currently found in the arima targets-Config.lb but they seem
> pretty much mainboard specific, not build specific.

Correct. It is a little better on the HDAMA.  But currently there are
some options that don't seem to work properly when I move them in closer.

> Left for the targets config file would be:
> * console loglevels
> * console output (serial, vga, ..)
> * rom/ide streaming (is anything but rom streaming still supported?)
> * fallback/normal image builds: size, payloads
> * option table

The option table pretty much should be mainboard specific, I think.

> Whats the difference between
> option FALLBACK_SIZE=131072
> and the option
>         option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE=0x10000
>
> in the romimage "fallback" group? Both sound like they do similar
> things.

As I recall FALLBACK_SIZE is the fallback part of the rom image.  Both
payload and LinuxBIOS.  Whereas ROM_IMAGE_SIZE is just the LinuxBIOS part.

> I had trouble getting a build to work with a kernel (800k) in the normal
> image and etherboot (~20k) in the fallback image. Do the payload image sizes
> have to be the same for fallback and normal?

No.  Although there are some peculiarities in the new configuration tool.
make echo

works so you should be able to see what the variables are set to.

Eric