epia800 direct vga working

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Sun Sep 7 21:46:01 CEST 2003

I finally got the epia 800 (vt8601 chipset) direct register vga working.
  The diff is short, so I attached it.

A few issues remain.  For some reason or other, a warm reset (reboot
from Linux) leaves the VGA is a scrambled state.  But a hardware reset
or cold start is fine.  I could not get the current ide to work, so I
backed up to the following revisions on ide:

  $Id: ide.c,v 1.5 2002/11/11 21:30:45 pyro9 Exp $

  $Id: ide.h,v 1.3 2002/12/16 17:57:45 rminnich Exp $

(since my config loads from hda1).  It sure appears to me that the
repository code for ide is broken, but I did not have time to pin it down.

The main issues preventing the vga from being done much sooner are
basically a bunch of extended registers that Via uses, that do not
initialize to a useable condition on power-on.  Takes a while to find
which ones, there are hundreds.

I would not want to do this without a datasheet, so I don't have much
hope for the CLE266 unless the VGA is identical or we get a datasheet
for it.

-Steve