New to list

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Sat Sep 6 12:09:00 CEST 2003

ron minnich wrote:

>>Hmmm.... Dunno about the SMP.  Ron and Eric perhaps can comment on that
>>.  I never messed with any of the smp stuff.  Assuming the MSI board
>>dosen't have something flaky with the SMbus to gain access to the SPD it
>>should come up and "just work"  YMMV of course.
>
> smp has been working fine for years, no issue.
> ron

Well what I was trying to say is that I don't know if the 440bx code
will do SMP.  I don't remember seeing much of anything about smp in the
440bx stuff I looked at.

I know that all the code I worked on dosen't have a clue about smp.  But
it was all SDRAM detection stuff and some mouse/keyboard settings work.
  Perhaps thats much further on down the init chain and dosen't care
about smp?

I do remember the serial ouput mentioning finding a CPU 0 so I may have
just never needed to look in those areas.

In any case sounds like things are good to go for a test.  Check out the
lb 1 CVS tree and give it a shot.

> On another note, the system I have here has its BIOS
> on a 256 kByte 32-pin PLCC flash device (AM29F002NT). Is this big enough?

Plenty big enough for linuxbios testing.  Not big enough to put a kernel
in so you will have to use etherboot or ide to load a kernel.  But to
test all the linuxbios stuff a kernel isn't necessary.

What package type do you have and is it soldered on or socketed?  That
part has a TSOP option as well as PLCC and DIP.

--
Richard A. Smith
rsmith at bitworks.com