init_timer()

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Sep 4 12:49:01 CEST 2003

ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Greg Watson wrote:
>
> > K8 developers:
> >
> > I've moved init_timer() from hardwaremain.c to the static
> > initialization code in cpu/k8/cpufixup.c as it prevents PPC code from
> > building. Please check that everything still works ok.
>
> yes, and there is a bigger issue. putting init_timer() in hardwaremain as
> an explicit call breaks machines that have no timer. These do exist.

Here is the issue.

In various places we need functions that wait a certain amount
of time.  And the code that needs it is not directly tied to the platform.
Things like the IDE driver require it.

So we need to a source of delays, and that source potentially needs
initialization.  How to do that I don't know.

Putting that initialization in hardwaremain.c is obviously not perfect
but we need to do something and we need not to brush the issue under
the rug.

Except that everything on the k8 is in the cpu it really does not belong
in cpufixup.c  At least not on a general basis.

Eric