[COMMIT] Infrastructure Updates 4

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Sep 4 10:04:00 CEST 2003

On 3 Sep 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> > * the logical devices of the amd8131 pci-x bridge has to be described in
> >   the mainboard configuration file. This means a lot of duplicate config
> >   "code" spread over the mainboard directory. Can this somehow go to the
> >   Config.lb file in southbridge/amd/amd8131/ ?
>
> Yes.  But at the same time everything there is explicit and up front.
> Which is not necessarily a bad thing.  It is very hard to see what is going
> on if you introduce a level of indirection here to be more sparse.

One of the goals of the new tool was to bring everything up to the top
level. People were getting lost in the maze of include files and option
settings. The disadvantage, as you point out, is some duplicated code, but
the advantages have so far outweighed that disadvantage.

In this case duplicated code is actually not too bad, as the hardware that
the code describes will not change for a given board.

> Quite possibly.  A hypertransport> >         southbridge amd/amd8131 "amd8131"
> >                 pci 0:0.0
> >                 pci 0:0.1
> >                 pci 0:1.0
> >                 pci 0:1.1
> >                 southbridge amd/amd8111 "amd8111"
> >                         pci 1:0.0
> >                         pci 1:1.0
> >                         [..]
> >                 end
> >         end

 chain is a weird case.  For the
> moment I am treating it like a weird pci bus, and that seems to
> work...  But further nesting might not be bad with the right set of
> changes.

Ah, this is a chain and not a true parent/child case? I'm still getting
the hang of HT, obviously.

ron