Number of resets in 1.1.5

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Oct 15 12:54:00 CEST 2003

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> LinuxBIOS 1.1.5 currently does a couple of resets on the HDAMA before it
> actually boots the payload. Is this elementary for getting HT to work
> properly, or is it based on the current algorithm?

A reset is necessary for the change in settings to take effect.

The current algorithm is stupid and makes all of those decisions locally.

> To keep boot times as
> short as possible, it'd be better to only do one reset and gather all
> setup functions that need reset before that.

Right.  I am not quite certain what the most maintainable technique
really is.

I am tempted to put off initializing most of RAM until someplace
in the main body of the code, and have a variable I can set to tell
the code I would like to do a reset.

Mostly I figured make it work properly today.  Optimize it tomorrow.

Eric