romcc-0.36 with -O2 8 registers are sufficient

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Oct 14 10:33:00 CEST 2003

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> * Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [031011 20:38]:
> > I just got to looking at my test cases and I have successfully
> > compiled all of my test cases that are derivatives of actual
> > memory initialization code with -O2 and no extra registers.
>
> It also translates the K8 smbus_write_byte() function now.. great!
>
> > Which is a very good sign for the case of using extra registers
> > to avoid inlining subroutines.
>
> Does this mean we can push the size of the linuxbios image down
> noticably now?

That is the goal.  .36 allows static const variables outside
of functions, and does not duplicate them when they are inside
of functions.

-O2 helps a little bit.

I am just starting on not inlining function calls.  Once that
is working we can see if there is noticeable size decrease.  I expect
that to be the case, but you never know until you try.

Eric