AMD64: Something's missing?

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Oct 13 11:37:01 CEST 2003

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> * Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [031013 15:23]:
> > Sorry about that.
>
> I fixed it for Solo, others will follow once I have the Solo up again.
>
> > Before we declare this 2.0 instead of 1.1.xxx
> > we should really have a target that will build everything
> > in the tree that a person has the compilers for.
>
> This would probably mean building only the linuxbios image without a
> payload, since the payload paths differ pretty heavily across the
> targets.

Yes.  I think so.  I have some plans afoot to enable flashing from
rom images directly from ELF formated rom files instead of a raw
binary image.   Once that comes to pass relaxing the payload
requirement should be much easier.   Allowing us to flash and build
linuxbios and the payloads independently.  The tricky bit
is figuring out the proper distribution format, so a novice user
can't mess it up.

The first step is updating the mtd map drivers to actually register
in /proc/iomem.  That allows a user space program to dynamically
discover which mtd devices to use.

Eric