HDAMA + FILO

Craig C. Forney cforney at opus.com
Fri Oct 10 04:47:01 CEST 2003

I was able to get FILO up as a PAYLOAD for Linuxbios in a very short
time.  And it was able to load and start executing either memtest86 or
the Linux kernel off of an IDE disk using GRUB.

Unfortunately when Linux is booting up and attempts to mount the root
file system, it chokes complaining that it can't mount the root device
(the entry is fine, and linux reports the root device properly as it
tries to mount it).

When I stick back in the stock Phoenix BIOS, the same disk/kernel boots
up just fine and has no problems whatsoever mounting the root device.

I suspect that maybe FILO has done something naughty to the IDE
registers, as I think the root mount is the first work the kernel is
doing on the disk.  The kernel can see the CDROM (as well as all the
other non-IDE devices).

Anybody have any ideas on this?

Craig C. Forney
Opus Innovations LLC