V2 Epia report

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Oct 9 13:35:01 CEST 2003

Greg Watson <gwatson at lanl.gov> writes:

> Yes, I have a similar problem with the current setup. I need to be able to do
> static initialization on entry to hardwaremain, but before console_init(), and
> also prior to pci enumeration.

The original conception was that such things would happen before
hardwaremain was actually called.  But regardless.

> Currently static device initialization can only  be done during pci
> setup which is too late.

Why???

> I've started using chip_configure()
> again to get around this problem, but it means I have to skip the
> enumerate_static_devices() step or things go to hell.

Why???

I can feel that there is pain here.  But I cannot see the source.
There are two possible solutions.  Either the current structure
needs redesign or I need to more clearly document and explain
the current structure so it can be fully taken advantage of.

So when you can please walk me through some specific problems so I can
help resolve this issue.

Eric