V2 Epia report

Greg Watson gwatson at lanl.gov
Thu Oct 9 11:33:00 CEST 2003

At 8:45 AM -0600 9/10/03, ron minnich wrote:
>On 8 Oct 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
>>  The current device resource assignment code should cope with static
>>  resource assignments, so hopefully it should be a matter of plugging
>>  hard codes into the device tree.
>
>no, greg and I will be talking to you about this. There is a problem with
>that code, which I have alluded to, in that you can not (in the current
>system) do device assignments etc. before pci enumeration, and it is
>essential that you be able to do that.
>
>>  Although looking at that code there is another issue. You are using
>>  dev_find_device in vt8231.c inappropriately.  dev_find_device should
>>  be virtually unnecessary in the freebios2 tree.  Except when you are
>>  very carefully using dev_find_device will fail to handle multiple
>>  instances of a device.  This is a very bad example to set when
>>  doing things properly causes everything to work transparently.
>
>legacy code. Has to get fixed.
>
>Examples of proper usage welcomed. Although this actually points out a
>problem with the dynamic tree: it handles complex cases well, simple cases
>poorly. All I want to do is get into that device BEFORE pci enumeration
>and set some default values. You can't do that in the current scheme.

Yes, I have a similar problem with the current setup. I need to be
able to do static initialization on entry to hardwaremain, but before
console_init(), and also prior to pci enumeration. Currently static
device initialization can only be done during pci setup which is too
late. I've started using chip_configure() again to get around this
problem, but it means I have to skip the enumerate_static_devices()
step or things go to hell.

Greg