config -> default

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Nov 26 20:08:01 CET 2003

Greg Watson <gwatson at lanl.gov> writes:

> Stefan,
>
> Which builds are broken? I thought I checked all configurations built after the
> change (apart from the VIA which Ron was working on.) and modified any that had
> problems.
>
> My hope was that this change would make the use of options more logical and
> consistent. The intention is that parts set default values for any options that
> they require or are specific to the part. Then when all the parts are put
> together in a target configuration file, these default values can be overridden
> for the specific build. I was also toying with the idea of allowing some options
>
> to be read-only, which I think would address your concern.
>
> Apologies for breaking things. I try to build all targets after any change like
> this to make sure things are still working.

Sorry for the great delay in checking this out.  But it actually is worse
than that.

The following totally fails with the new setup.  When USE_FALLBACK_IMAGE
is an option.

##
## Compute the location and size of where this firmware image
## (linuxBIOS plus bootloader) will live in the boot rom chip.
##
if USE_FALLBACK_IMAGE
	default ROM_SECTION_SIZE   = FALLBACK_SIZE
	default ROM_SECTION_OFFSET = ( ROM_SIZE - FALLBACK_SIZE )
else
	default ROM_SECTION_SIZE   = ( ROM_SIZE - FALLBACK_SIZE )
	default ROM_SECTION_OFFSET = 0
end

Also this chunk where I over ride the default strings is necessary,
or I don't have matching motherboard vendor and part strings and I can't
flash my BIOS.

##
## Clean up the motherboard id strings
##