V2 dependency problems

Dave Ashley linuxbios at xdr.com
Tue Nov 25 12:04:00 CET 2003

The auto.c file has #includes for things like raminit.c. If I change
the auto.c file and rebuild, the changes "take". If I change raminit.c,
the changes don't take. I have to touch the auto.c to get it to work. Does
everyone have this problem?

I do
cd targets ; ./buildtarget via/epiam

(Above done only once)

Then to rebuild
make -C via/epiam/epiam

One other note that I kind of recall being discussed. I cloned the vt8231
directory to make the vt8235 directory, but a lot of the separate pci devices
that are inside both devices are identical. Isn't there some way of separating
out the support code for the individual components maybe based on the pci
device id's? This would avoid code duplication.

Like the southbridge/via/vt8231 directory would be the toplevel file that
would glue together all the separate components. It would be a list of what
individual drivers to include + no redundancy. Maybe there could be another
area like
components/via/1106-0571

One thing that would be convenient though is devices that are almost exactly
the same but have different pci device id's. CVS doesn't like symlinks though.
You'd like the handler code to support all equivalent devices. So maybe having
the directory name based on the pci id is no good.

Maybe instead
components/via/ide/id.h
components/via/ide/handler.c

The id.h file would list the pci device id's the handler supports.

Just some thoughts.

-Dave
PS Sorry if this is a duplicate. The original message didn't seem to work.